One of the biggest considerations when choosing a new vacuum cleaner is, should you buy bagged or bagless? A bagged vacuum cleaner works in the traditional way of using a replaceable bag as a filter to trap the dust & debris, while allowing air to flow through the bag. Bags must be replaced when they are full.
Bagless vacuum cleaners use various forms of cyclonic filtration to trap dust and debris in a chamber that can then be emptied.
Bagged and Bagless vacuums also use mechanical filters to achieve higher levels of fine dust filtration ie HEPA
Is a bagless model better than one that needs vacuum cleaner bags? It really depends on your home, and its needs.
Vacuum cleaner with bags
Bagged vacuum cleaners require that you change the bag when it becomes full. Replacing the bag isn't a biggie, there has been a lot of progress made in vacuum cleaner bag technology with modern synthetic bags offering longer useful life and finer filtration performance, some bags even offer HEPA filtration even on their own, although original brand bags can be expensive, Filtamagic offers the latest synthetic options alongside traditional multi-layer paper options that are not expensive,check out our wide range of bags here, we are sure to have one for your machine.
Whilst it may be a pain, to have to remember to check if the bag is full, some models of vacuum cleaner have an indicator light that will let you know when the bag needs to be changed…..that’s a result! One of the benefits of vacuum cleaner bags is that there is not a lot of contact with the dust and debris in the bag. Simply slip out the old bag and throw it away.
- Less mess. With a bag, there's little to no chance that your dust will wind up back on the floor, or on you!
- Better for allergy sufferers. Bags keep dust and allergens completely separate from the person who is doing the vacuuming. As a result, disposing of dust is much less likely to cause an allergic reaction.
- Less maintenance required. Vacuum cleaner bags take a lot of stress off your vacuum cleaner for a couple of reasons. First, filters are built into the bags themselves, so you don't need to clean the filters. And…….the bags hold more dust than their bagless counterparts, so you don't need to dump the dust as often.
- Eco-unfriendly. While a lot of vacuum cleaner bags are made largely of paper, they also contain other materials and may thus be unrecyclable like the latest high efficiency synthetic bags. As a result, you toss the bag containing the dust & debris, and it’s highly likely to wind up in a landfill site.
- Expense. While vacuum bags are unlikely to break the bank, especially ones from FiltaMagic, see our range here they do cost money!
Bagless vacuum cleaners
With a bagless vacuum cleaner, there is less worry about forgetting to empty the vacuum cleaner because there is a clear view of the dust & debris in the container. Once the dust meets the fill line, it's time to empty the container. That's really easy, right?
However…..they all have filters that either need to be brushed, washed and fully dried, or replaced from time to time to get the best cleaning results from your vacuum. Emptying the dust container itself can be a messy process, depending on your vacuum cleaner. Dust can blow back out of the filter, or you may even have to shake or pull out compacted dust & debris from the bottom of the container. But wait….., on the other hand, if you accidentally vacuumed up something that you need to retrieve, it is easily removed from the container - so you can now finish that jigsaw you have been working on for the last 6 weeks & stop blaming the dog for eating it!
Check out our range of vacuum filters here, we are bound to stock your make & model
- Eco-friendly. Bagless vacuum cleaners generally have washable/reusable filters and, of course, there are no bags that end up in the black wheelie bin & ultimately landfill!
- Latest tech. All the latest features and functions are typically found on bagless vacuum cleaners
Messier. Cleaning a bagless vacuum and its filter, means sticking your fingers in dust and debris, and coping with the resulting dusty residue.
More time-consuming. With a bag, you just pull out one bag and pop in another. Bagless vacuums have lots of nooks and crannies and filters that require careful cleaning and drying. You may even need to clean out the filter more often than you'd have to replace a bag.
More likely to cause allergic reactions. The dusty "blowback" from a bagless vacuum when emptying can easily set off an allergic response, such as sneezing.
There is no best choice when it comes to vacuum cleaners. The decision will depend on your needs for your lovely home, your cleaning schedule, your budget & your allergies.
“A cleaner home needs a cleaner vacuum”
If you enjoyed this piece, come check out the other hints & tips we have put together for you on the site here .
With these simple tips we hope that you will be able to make an informed choice for your next vacuum cleaner. Don’t forget, if you need replacement belts, bags or filters, or if you are stuck, our friendly team at FiltaMagic are just a call away on 0870 745 3450 & we will be happy to help you get the right part for your vacuum cleaner
FiltaMagic your #1 choice for vacuum filters, bags belts & accessories
One last thing, our newsletter will be starting up soon, so if you want to hear first about offers, promotions & what's going on at FiltaMagic Manors, then please sign up for the newsletter here we really would appreciate it